Your Thoughts Exactly: NFC Football predictions revisited

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

 

NFC Football predictions revisited

So it's time to look back and see all the predictions I made and whether they're going to pan out (and why or why not). Click on the link above to see the initial predictions, which were actually pretty decent.

NFC North:
Bears:
So they're not going to go 11-5, or 5-11. I predict an 8-8 finish, although if Hutchinson can keep it up, 9-7 and the playoffs is not totally out of the question. This season was a big bust with all the injuries. The injury to Grossman is especially tough to swallow, because it forces us to use next year to evaluate him, when I think they're just going to find out he's an average quarterback, and end up drafting another. Then again, this year's QB pickings are not quite as good as last years.

Lions:
6-10 is not out of the question for the lions, and I think I'm going to stick with that prediction. It would have helped if their two star wideouts had stayed healthy, or if Joey Harrington had made even a little progress. Unfortunately, no and no. But they are on the uprise.

Packers:
7-9 was a little ambitious for me, I'll admit. I still think they can lose 2 more games, though, putting them at 9-7 or perhaps 8-8 if they continue their awful defensive play. Favre just doesn't have 'it' anymore, and Ahman Green couldn't put it together, because of injuries or because his team was trailing by 21+ points. Still, playoffs are in the picture at 9-7.

Vikings:
10-6 would put them in the playoffs, but the question is, are the Vikings going to choke again this year? I think 9-7 again looks like the norm... playoffs depend on whether or not they beat Green Bay on christmas eve. But this defense is terrible just like I said, and they are trying their best to choke this season away too. If they can do it is probably Mike Tice's fault.

NFC South:

Panthers: 6-10 is also not out of the question for them... but they've been playing well. Still, a few of those wins came against awful teams: San Fran, Zona, New Orleans. Tampa is marginal, especially away from home. So I think they'll probably finish 7-9, perhaps 6-10 like I predicted. But they lost Stephen Davis, Kris Jenkins, and have managed to do marginally well. I'd say this was a well coached team.

Bucs: 7-9 again? I am on a roll here, why not go with it? The Bucs have been wildly inconsistent, but they still have a good defense. And that probably spells some success late. Plus, let's not ignore that their two away games in december are in San Diego and Arizona. I think 7-9 is a good bet. No Playoffs.

Saints: 10-6? Ouch. What the hell happened this year? I really don't know... I didn't even watch a single Saints game, but I hear they were unbearable to watch. 5-11 is the story here.

Falcons: 9-7, probably not. But you can see why I picked them to be mediocre after getting destroyed by Tampa's defense. Luckily they'll get to 11-5 and the playoffs, because games against New Orleans and Oakland are wins any day.

NFC West:
Seahawks: Ouch x2. The Seahawks are on paper, one of the best teams in the league. Unfortunately they can't execute worth shit, as evidence by their inability to catch a ball. Well, honestly, that's not that important, right? They also have a terrible defense. I'd say next week's game against Minnesota sets the tone: if they get lit up there, I think they'll finish 7-9. If they can win that game, playoffs are still a hope for them, with a record of 9-7.

Rams: 9-7 again! Look at me rack up these correct predictions. There's nothing else to say about the Rams other than "they beat the 49ers 16-6". Not good.

Cardinals: 6-10! Bing! Let's hope Josh McCown doesn't get replaced by Shaun King anymore. At least they have a future, sort of?

49ers: 2-14... Hmm. That means they'd have to win one of their last 4 games. Maybe Arizona, the only team they've beaten this year? Maybe Washington, prone to scoring 0 points any day of the week? It's sad that this team is this bad, because... well, no, it isn't. Who isn't rooting for a 1-15 record?

NFC East:
Giants: Ouch x3. It was looking good when the Giants got off to a 5-2 start. Now that they've lost 5 in a row, it looks like 6-10 is more the norm. Oh well. I blame Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning. By the way, what was with all the sportswriters saying "Eli Manning may have lost that first game, but you can see why he was a number one pick. The Giants will be a threat for years to come." Then, after last week's game, they're saying "Eli Manning looks lost and has no business starting... not everyone can be like Roethlisberger". Sportswriters, it seems, are stupid.

Eagles: 11-5, no, 15-1. I'm a bit surprised that no one can beat this defense. It's not that great. If the bears can put up 9 points with Quinn starting, then I'm sure someone else can win. Unfortunately, the NFC sucks this year, so they won't be losing till the super bowl.

Cowboys: 5-11 was a bit harsh. Julius Jones is the real deal, (at least I hope so because I need him to lead me into the fantasy playoffs) and they've sort of got it together after a bad start. 7-9, says Stuart.

Redskins: How can a team get so much worse with the addition of Clinton Portis? I don't know. I blame Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell. I also blame Joe Gibbs. It doesn't really matter, because 5-11 is the story.

So I did pretty well, I think. I made a couple huge mistakes: Skins and Saints, but you can forgive me.

All this doesn't matter because the Colts, Steelers, and Patriots are heads above anyone else in the NFC, even Philly. Philly would have no chance against the Colts offense, have already lost to the steelers, and the Patriots, well, they're the Patriots and are basically the only team that can beat the colts. I think we're looking at a Pats-Eagles Super Bowl. Marmar, care to reevaluate the AFC? I'd like to hear about the Chargers.

Comments:
coughlin
 
oops... fixed
 
You think the Patriots are the only team that can beat the Colts? Maybe you should look at the caliber of opponents they've been whooping up on:

Green Bay
Jacksonville(only once out of 2 games. And Jacksonville has a bottom half pass D)
Oakland
Minnesota
Houston
Chicago
Detroit
Tennessee(twice)

Tell me which of those teams makes the playoffs in the AFC. Possibly Jax and Minnesota. Jax beat them oonce and Minnesota only lost by 3. Here's a prediction for you: Colts lose their last 3 games.
 
I admit that Green Bay and Minnesota have terrible pass defenses. But Chicago and Tennessee do not, nor do the Texans. They were still torched. The problem with playing the colts is that if you make one mistake, Manning has the ability to find it and exploit it, usually for a touchdown. I don't think he's invincible, but Belicheck is in his head. Maybe the steelers could shut him down, but I doubt it; their secondary is still really young. And yes, they lost to jacksonville, but that was before Manning started to play out of his mind.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?