Your Thoughts Exactly: Smells like.... victory

Friday, October 07, 2005

 

Smells like.... victory

Let me tell you, sometimes it gets tiring being right all the time. Oh wait, no it doesn't! Ahhh, the White Sox are in the ALCS. I'm not going to sit here and say we're definitely going to win the next series (because first, we don't even know we're playing). But I did call this- I had a good feeling about our matchups with Boston, and yes, I really did think we were going to see a sweep here.
But the thing is, it wasn't because I thought we were so much better. If we lost this game, I actually didn't like our chances in Game 4 with Garland on the mound. And if it got to Game 5, the pressure would be on us. So I thought- sweep, or else!

Of course I didn't say any of this for fear of jinxing us. But ALCS here we come! Go-Go Sox!

Comments:
First of all, Congratulations, and be glad that this didnt happen two year ago or I would actually hate you.

But I'm still bitter enough to have sour grapes about it. The fact is, our team was doing it with smoke and mirrors, and certainly wasn't as good as either last year's edition or even the 2003 club. Still, we should have won Game 2 for sure, (Graffanino error) to which the White Sox can simply say "Thank You," to Tony and blew game 3 threw a total lack of execution. (Bases Loaded nobody out!) I still think we are as good as any team in the majors, with the possible exception of St. Louis, and that if we had clinched a playoff spot earlier, which we had the chance to do, we could have rested our regulars who were dead from that awful 30 game stretch (particularly Varitek, Mueller, and Damon) and set up our rotation as Schilling, Wells, Wake, Arroyo (pitching Clement was a huge error.)

But the bottom line is we didn't clinch early you did, you stomped us in game 1, executed in key spots in game 3, and didn't give us any extra chances. And in the baseball playoffs, anything can happen. So congrats once again, and I will probably be rooting for you in the ALCS and beyond. I do hate Ozzie Guillen though: you guys win in spite of his managing as much as because of it, but since you don't have any previously famous players, TV networks give him all the credit (also because he hogs the spotlight.) Of course, TV announcers are all idiots, so there you go
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?