Your Thoughts Exactly: Joe Morgan Entertains

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

 

Joe Morgan Entertains

"Now that we're in the third full week of the season, it's time to take a quick look around the major leagues at some of the biggest stories so far this year and once again make a complete idiot of myself through a major media outlet, exemplifying yet again why I am often invoked in various attempts to define the words 'moron,' 'imbicile,' and 'ignoramus,' as well as the phrase 'gone the way of the Joe Morgan.'"

This is the first paragraph in Joe Morgan's latest over at ESPN. I may have taken a little creative license with it. And now to the rest of the column...

"Any time a team has a proven manager like Frank Robinson on the bench it has a chance to have a good season."

Wow, Joe sure isn't pulling his punches. First - I don't think Casey Stengel could squeeze a good season out of, say, the Royals this year, even with Joe Torre as his bench coach, Bobby Cox as first base coach, Earl Weaver as third base coach, and John McGraw as clubhouse manager. Further, since when is Frank Robinson a "proven" manager, unless proven simply means "managed a lot of games, even if he has lost a great deal of those." Robinson has managed in 14 seasons, compiling a 913-1004 record and 6 winning seasons.

"Veterans like Vinny Castilla and Cristian Guzman are the kinds of players who will thrive in the nation's capital."

Does this even mean anything? Crappy or passable-but-overrated players are perfectly suited to D.C. baseball? I guess that explains Jim Bowden's offseason moves.

Ok, I'm done making fun of Joe Morgan. I'm sure I'll want to in the future, so I won't dry up the well just yet. I did notice one interesting thing though. Finishing off his article, he mentioned the passing of Hall of Fame basketball coach Clarence Gaines, and said his thoughts go out to everyone who knew him. Usually, it is prayers that go out, or thoughts and prayers. "Thoughts" alone struck me as something rarely seen. Joe Morgan, the atheist? There may be hope for him yet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?