Your Thoughts Exactly: An apology to Hillary

Thursday, April 21, 2005

 

An apology to Hillary

So I just re-read my most recent post, and I realized that I am an idiot. Yes, it may be hard to swallow, but even we here at the shining tower of truth make mistakes.

So basically my last post revolved around two things: criticizing Hillary for conceding that abortion is wrong, and criticizing hypocrisy. Well I am guilty of both. Without even realizing it, I wrote that I'd be willing to ban second and third trimester abortions in favor of giving the green light to all first trimester ones. By doing that, of course, I was trying to find some common ground with the pro-lifers; compromising, if you will. It's not that I don't believe this anymore, it's that by saying this I am conceding that abortions are somehow wrong in the latter stages of pregnancy. (I actually hold the very unpopular view that second and third trimester abortions are perfectly ok. Remember, I believe there's no magic point at which it becomse human.) And by doing this I'm just giving up ground to the pro-lifers.

And yet, from their point of view, my compromise is not common ground at all. They would take that compromise and simply use it as a first step in banning all abortions. So it makes no sense to give up that ground if the other side only wants complete and unconditional surrender. It reminds me of the conflict in the Middle East.

So, there you have it. I apologize... but everything I said in that post still stands, if that makes any sense at all.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?