Your Thoughts Exactly: Random thoughts on news

Thursday, March 17, 2005

 

Random thoughts on news

So, I'm not busy at work and the NCAA tournament doesn't start for another hour. So I think I'll blog about some newsworthy bits.

  1. Sideways: B-. An above average movie with a character that you just KNOW was modeled after the writer's life. In that regard it makes it more believable, which is always a plus for a movie. But the characters just didn't do it for me otherwise. Plus, I don't drink wine, which I guess may be a big draw for some.
  2. I Heart Huckabees: B+. Surprisingly few big laughs in this movie, but it never makes any big missteps and never insults your intelligence with really stupid, obvious jokes. It's not a hilarious movie, but it manages to be amusing throughout.
  3. Office Space: B. I watched this movie at the behest of my co-workers, who insisted it was a must-see now that I am working. I liked it; I'd seen parts of it before. Again, Mike Judge (Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill creator) goes for some subtler humor and pulls most of it off. As a satire on 'cube life' it's pretty good; as a movie, it's merely above average.
  4. Knights of the Old Republic 2: 80/100. I blew through this game: it was nearly as addicting as the first one; and even though it was almost exactly the same game with a new storyline, it was still a lot of fun to play. And that's more of a glowing review of the first one; because this is merely an expansion pack when you think about it. The story isn't quite as good, the graphics look the same, the characters aren't as fresh, and the gameplay is EXACTLY the same, with one very minor addition. If this game had been released first, it wouldn't have been as good as the first one; it would have rated maybe a 92 as opposed to a 95.
  5. Republic Commando: 72/100. Yes, I know, two Star Wars games. But this one is based off episodes 1-3, giving it a big handicap to start off. The only appeal this game has is that it looks and feels a lot like the movies, which is a fun thing, even if it weren't a Star Wars game. Otherwise, it's a standard first person shooter, albeit one with a lot of polish and no mistakes or bugs. It feels a lot like a console game, with a lot of action and very predefined routes. Bottom line is, I would never be playing the game if it didn't have the Star Wars name on it.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?