Your Thoughts Exactly: Emptying the Brain

Friday, December 24, 2004

 

Emptying the Brain

The greatest thing that could have ever happened with the Ron Artest-Pacers suspension would have been the March return for Artest and a Pacers run to the championship, culminating with David Stern having to hand the Finals MVP to Artest. Unfortunatelt the arbitrator ruled that Artest’s suspension would not be reduced, an incorrect ruling in my opinion. My opinion is heavily biased of course, as Artest is one of my favorite players.

While no doubt this Red Sox team will win some games, the free agency “value” games Theo Epstein and co are playing this offseason worry me for two reasons. The first is that I have seen this strategy fail before under Dan Duquette: these signings are like Band-Aids, they may prop the team up through March or June, but its hard to get by for one or two full seasons with older, injury-prone players. David Cone and Hipolito Pichardo come to mind, as does the illustrious Ed Sprague Era. I don’t trust David Wells, Wade Miller, and Tim Wakefield to start half our games. The second reason is the turnover on the team. We have lost some big names: since the beginning of the 03 season, our team has seen two icons and several long time players depart. I’m not one of those guys who can root for laundry: I grow attached to the players. And there is no way I am rooting for Fatty Wells. Just not gonna happen.

I have decided I dislike Curt Schilling. This is the latest example of me being a giant hater. First of all let’s get something straight: while Schilling did pitch better than Pedro this year, Pedro had better numbers every year previous. Second, as previously discussed, going on an online fan message forum as an athlete does not make you a “cool” athlete: it makes you a giant loser. Third, I don’t like the calculated PR moves. Fourth I AM A GIANT HATER.

Speaking of hating: I’ve noticed a trend in my life. The more lame I become, the more time I spend on the Sons of Sam Horn website. Peak periods of usership have included the dreaded “lump” summers of 00 and 03 along with the last month’s laziness. The latest bout of lameness has been particularly unfortunate as the website has gone downhill, turning into an orgasmic lovefest for Curt Schilling, Theo Epstein, and John Henry (who coincidently, all post from time to time.) Biased by the fact many of these people think they are friends with Henry and co., the board has been effusive in the praise of the front office for “bringing us (the fans) a championship.” What I don’t understand is why fans are giving so much credit to the front office. The players are the ones on the field, who actually had to win the game. Let’s keep some focus, Theo Epstein didn’t strike anyone else or get any hits off Rivera.

George Bush wins man of the year for the second time in four years. I don’t think any more comments are necessary

This Christmas, I have realized that I don’t do enough for others. Sorry about that guys. I’ll try more in 05.

I am reading Milk It, a collection of articles by rock critic Jim Derogatis. Jim did not win me over in his opinion of 1990s music by declaring Dr. Dre the most overrated producer in the history of music and putting only three hip hop albums on his “top 90 albums of the 90s, one by Tone Loc. I think he just may be a little ignorant. Maybe the rappers aren’t as nice to him as the rockers in terms of granting interviews. He also has a hyper-tendency to refer every rock development back to Nirvana. Now, I happen to hate Nirvana, and generally ignore Cobain worship as fraudulent and misinformed. But Derogatis takes it to unprecendeted levels, overemphasizing the impact and extent of the supposed “alternative music revolution.” As cultural movements go, grunge and Gen X nihilism did nothing to change anything and will soon be a footnote in time, if not already. On the other hand reading this book did just remind me of my need to download Jump by Kris Kross ....

Edit: Derogatis further proves his lack of knowledge of the rap game with this quote: "In fact hip-hop failed to come up with anything fresh in '94." Ten years later, 1994 is probably regarded as the greatest year for hip hop releases.

Comments:
wells for 2 years is quite a mystery. but he has been steady, despite being 40+ (right?) and 300+ (definitely). a good 4th starter who can give you a lot of innings, even if you hate him. the wade miller signing, however, was fantastic. hardly any money, just a one year deal, and if he doesn't reinjure his arm, he'll probably be worth twice as much as the upper reaches of his incentive-laden contract. of course, then he'll get a lot a year from now. but a good one year signing to keep you in contention. you still have tek (ha) to root for, but unfortunately its time to embrace some new players. no more nomar, pedro, etc. there's still jesus out in center.

merry chrismas marmar. you better have gone surfing. you won't get many more chances to surf on christmas.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?