Your Thoughts Exactly: Election Blog

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

 

Election Blog

Coming to you live from Sydney Australia, where one of the 5 major TV networks has dedicated the entire day’s coverage to the US election. They even prempted “Passions.” Funny I don’t remember CBS breaking into “The Bold and the Beautiful,” for updates on the 2001 Australian elections.

1148 AM: Ok, so its 34 to 3 Bush, as W takes Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, and some other Mini-opollis states. Wait, make that 39 to 3 as Bush takes West Virginia. West Virginia went Democrat almost every time up until 2000, but Bush has taken it twice now. West Virginia also represents the beginning of the Wheeling-Jacksonville Mini-opolis, coined by Renaissance Man TJ Smoov. The Mini-opolis represents the smaller cities and country folk that vote Republican because they love their guns, they are evangelical Christians, or they suck at life. Ok, that may have been a slightly partisan comment. I am from the elitist, culturally relevant, Boston-D.C. Megalopolis that keeps the Democratic balance.

1205 PM: New Jersey was supposedly up for grabs, but Kerry held it. I think if Bush had won Jersey, it would have been a bad early sign. I can’t see Kerry winning the Carolinas-- maybe, maybe Virginia. I remember they had problems calling the southern states in 2000 too, and Bush ended up winning comfortably. Kerry’s now in the lead, thanks to great states like Massachusetts and Illinois who produced great people like me and Stuart Lim.

1222 PM: I just realized that I don’t need to write PM anymore. My next entries will be that more efficient! Tim Russert is spouting political bullshit and pointing shiny things at me. I am confused. I need the big board with the red and blue flashing states. I want one in my house actually. Maybe I’ll get a tattoo of the U.S. with corresponding red and blue states. That would be pretty sweet.

1247: I like how they show these nice smiling photographs of Bush and Kerry, while in Ralph Nader’s picture he looks like someone just ran over his puppy. I have also come to the conclusion that while I don’t like George Bush as my president, I would like to go on a float trip with him. “Float Trips with W” would make an excellent reality TV show.

101: Bush takes the 156 to 112 lead by shoring up all the plains states. Blah.

128: The issue of the day is the mutli-hour lines encountered in key states Ohio and Florida. In a country that prides itself as the ultimate champion of the Democratic process, so much so that its commitment shapes its foreign policy philosophy, structural failures of this nature are disgraceful and should not be tolerated. Change in America happens too slowly now, whether due to polarization, over-saturation of biased media, or vast conspiracies of the Freemasons. My sensible solution: move Election day to Veterans Day, November 11th, avoiding the hassle of creating a new holiday while symbolically acknowledging the men and women who served in our armed forces. This, of course, will never happen.

212: Bush keeps creeping up adding Utah and Arkansas, to take a 182 to 112 lead. I should have expected the night to go like this, but I hate how I get the perception that Kerry is coming from behind. I have feelings of doom and gloom with regards to the outcome. Kerry is going to have to win this by squeezing out contested victories in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida, likely decided days from now. I dread a repeat of 2000, where litigation dragged on as the American people lost collective interest inthe bureaucratic and legal maneuvers of both sides. The perception that Gore was trying to challenge Bush’s victory was difficult for the Democrats to overcome. Hopefully this time around, the American people will show some patience.

244: The “get out the vote” efforts of America’s youth have been declared a failure by NBC’s Brian Williams, as 18-29 year olds make up the same percentage of the voting electorate as last time. Of course this means more young people voted than last time, since the total amount of voters is higher. Also a higher percentage of this group voted for Kerry than Gore in 2000. Still, I am disappointed in my generation, although I totally understand the apathy and disconnectedness from the political process.

308: Cali, Washington, and Pennsylvania all go to Kerry, making it 207 to 199 W, no margarine of victory apparent. I want Kerry to win the Electoral College and Bush to win the popular vote, so hopefully both sides can realize how stupid the system is.

332: This is taking too long, and they have Tim Russert showing me how to add and subtract again. Let’s face it; he is no John Madden when it comes to using the telestrater. Despite the attempts of NBC to create drama, it is clear to me that the result of this election will not be determined for another 12 hours minimum. Time to surf the net and check other media results.

349: Surprise, surprise. Fox News has Bush ahead 210-144. Meanwhile CNN has it 197-189 Bush. Slate has Kerry winning every key state based on exit polling: Florida, Ohio, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, you name it. After four hours, I already don't care. Please tell me who my leader is.

439: Its a beautiful day in Sydney, but the flies were too much for me sitting outside. I return to find that Bush has won Florida and will likely win Ohio and the election. Crap.

634: Remember when elections were decided in like three hours? Ah the good old days. Various websites (MSNBC, Fox,) have Bush winning Ohio, while others (CNN, NY Times) have yet to declare a winner. I think we all know who is winning. I just hope I don't get drafted. On the plus side, I finished Dark Tower VII, and I'm still in Australia for another year even if (more like when) Bush gets reelected.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?