Your Thoughts Exactly: Sox-Angels Game One

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

 

Sox-Angels Game One

Here's a surprise for you. I did not keep to my plan of drinking heavily, going to bed at 3, and waking up at 6 to watch game one over the internet. I did manage to catch the last three innings, when the game was already well in hand. My thoughts:

-Offense looked good in that Damon was getting on base and Manny was hitting everything well. I missed the double and the home run, but he smoked the ball off the pitcher in his AB in the 8th. If they are both hot in the playoffs, thats a very very good sign. Plus we scored on an freaking RBI bunt single, for the first time since the glory days of Otis Nixon.

-Schilling pitched ok, 6 2/3 3 runs 2 walks, 4 Ks, 2 HRs. Had Pedro done this, people would be complaining. It's easy to be a "clutch" pitcher when your team score 9 runs for you. No doubt Colon will shut us out tomorrow while Pedro gives up 3 runs, 2 earned, and people panic...no wait I am supposed to be optimistic.

-I miss watching baseball on TV. I most certainly do not miss baseball commentators. It's amazing that I can love Chris Berman on NFL Primetime, yet hate him so when he calls baseball games. (Tangent: Someone told me a story once that he had seen Berman in a strip club with Jim Kelly tag teaming girls. No wonder he is such a Bills fan.) And it only took an inning of Rick Suttcliffe before my ears started bleeding. Ear rupture occured when Ricky started talking about how the Angels were proving a point by closing the score from 8-1 to 8-3, and that they wouldnt quit. Gee Rick it's the fucking playoffs...I would sure hope a team wouldnt quit that easy.

-We are better than the Angels. And the Yankees. And the Twins. And any of the teams in that other league where the pitchers hit. Of course it's the postseason, anything can happen, our team is by no means perfect, (can any baseball team be perfect?) and if we get into close games, I worry our manager will blow it. But I like our chances. And with that said, time to start looking at airfares to Boston for about two weeks from now.

Confidence: High

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?